2.8.12

Peter St. James


Age: 31
Born: Glasgow, Scotland
D.O.B. : 7.12.1957
Star Sign: Sagittarius
Eyes: Brown
Height: 6ft

Born in Scotland Peter St.James moved to Birmingham at the tender age of 6 and attended Percy Surmer Junior School, Balsall Heath where he soon lost his broad Scottish Accent.
At the age of 11 he done his first disco at a Wedding Reception and from there on he has continued to entertain.

When I asked Peter why he joined P.C.R.L Radio? He replied I felt that the Afro-Caribbean needs were being ignored by the two local BBC and ILR Stations. When, you consider that around 35% of the population of the West Midlands are Afro­Caribbean and that they pay a licence fee it seems criminal that all they get in return is two hours per week of programming. What about the other 166 hours? Do they think that Black People just go to sleep until they get treated to another two hours. When P.C.R.L Radio evolved I thought I just had to try and join them, I'm glad to say that they considered me good enough to accept me and make me part of the team. 

When I asked what he thought P.C.RL's main achievement had been? he replied there has been to many to mention them all but at the risk of sounding conceited there was one item in which I am proud of the Hurricane Gilbert Special in which I phoned and linked up live with R.J.R Radio in Jamaica and got first hand information on the exact situation on conditions right across Jamaica. I also arranged to have tape recorded messages played on R.J.R Radio from friends and relatives in the West Midlands desperate to hear from friends and relatives in Jamaica. Not bad for a small Community Radio Station. 

Interview by Lady D.(1987)

No comments:

Post a Comment